Where to Begin
Where to Begin
Not ready to fill out your FAFSA but curious about your eligibility? Early in your college search?Try the FAFSA4caster.
We know applying for aid can be complicated and we want to make it as simple as possible. Here are the basic steps you'll need to take:
Apply to Birmingham-Southern if you haven't already done so.
- Fill out the FAFSA online.
- The FAFSA—the Free Application for Federal Student Aid—is required in order to be considered for federal, state, and institutional aid. It's available online at www.fafsa.gov.
- You'll need BSC's FAFSA code: 001012
- New students will get an award letter in the mail; returning students will be notified in their BSC email. We will begin awarding to new first-year and transfer students in late November.
- Take a look at https://studentaid.ed.gov/ for information on types of federal student aid available, FAFSA, and more.
- Once Entering Freshman/Transfer student have been admitted to BSC, we will begin awarding financial aid in late November/early December.
- We will begin awarding Returning students after spring grades post.
- Seek scholarships.
- You'll find BSC and external scholarships from a number of sources; we're happy to provide advice.
- Consider loans and complete that process.
- Learn more on the Aid Overview page about loans and how to apply.
- If you are offered a loan, you'll need to accept or reject the offer.
- Incoming students can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to accept or reject the offer on your behalf.
- Current students should use TheSIS to accept or reject their offer.
- First-time borrowers accepting a Direct or PLUS loan must complete a Master Promissory Note online.
- First-time borrowers accepting a Direct loan must also complete entrance counseling online.
- Verify your aid if required.
- You will be notified if you are selected for "verification."
- If you are, you must provide the following by July 1:
- Verification worksheet
- A signed copy of the student's and parents' federal tax transcript for dependent students; independent students need only submit their own
- Any additional documentation requested by BSC at the behest of the U.S. Department of Education.