Did you know?
- China is one of the world's oldest and continuous cultures (over 5000 years old).
- China has 1.3 billion people and Mandarin Chinese is the official language.
- China has the world's second largest economy. Being able to speak Chinese and operate successfully in a Chinese cultural context will make you more competitive in the work place.
- China is one of the top 3 trading partners of the United States.
- Speaking Chinese is important for many careers such as International business,
- Marketing, International Affairs, etc.
Check out: CIA’s World Fact BookPresident Obama: US-China Ties Shape 21st Century: CBS report
President Obama’s recent visit to China: The New York Times
Mark Zuckerberg addresses Chinese university in Mandarin: The Guardian
There are plenty of opportunities to study Chinese language and culture at Birmingham-Southern
- With a full-time professor of Chinese on our faculty, BSC offers Mandarin language classes from Introductory Chinese, Intermediate Chinese, and upper-level Chinese courses that emphasize cultural awareness and four essential skills needed for communicative competence: listening, speaking, reading, and writing/typing. Combine your language study with a major or minor in Asian Studies, an interdisciplinary major that emphasizes the changing traditions of Asia—including the incredible economic growth—contemporary issues faced by Asian nations, and their relations with western nations. Or take history courses on ancient or modern China, philosophy courses on Confucianism and Daoism, or an economics class that follows products from Chinese factories to the shelves of Wal-Mart. Enjoy a growing Chinese cultural community on campus and in the Birmingham area. BSC’s popular student group, Love Asia, hosts a Chinese New Year celebration each year, as well as other cultural events.
Chinese Courses: CHN 101 Introductory Chinese I
CHN 102 Introductory Chinese II
CHN 201 Intermediate Chinese I
CHN 202 Intermediate Chinese II
CHN 270 Conversational Chinese
CHN 290 Chinese for the Workplace
CHN 295 Directed Reading
CHN 310 Reading Chinese Media
E-Term Course: Explorations of Qi (ch’i, ‘life-energy’)
AN 150 Introduction to Chinese Culture
AN 323 Chinese Philosophies of Leadership and Strategy
HI 181 East Asian Civilization I: Introduction to Chinese Civilization
HI 282 (HON 282) Disputers of the Dao: Major Texts in the Confucian, Buddhist and Daoist Traditions in East Asia
HI 283 Modern China
PL 246 Asian Philosophies: from Atman to Zen
PL 256 Confucianism and Daoism
Chinese Language Table: Every Friday at 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. in the BSC Cafeteria
Chinese Tutoring Hours: Every Wednesday night 7:00-8:00 in the BSC Library Study Room
Chinese Movie Night: Thursday night (bi-weekly) 7:00 p.m. in the BSC Library Auditorium
Student Organizations: Love Asia, Chinese Club
Study Abroad & Internship: Herb and Ellie Sklenar Center for International Programs
- Chinese Language Table every Friday at 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. in the BSC Cafeteria
- Chinese Tutoring every Wednesday 7-8 p.m. in the Library Study Room
- Chinese Movie Night every other Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Library Auditorium
- Student Organizations: Love Asia