BSC logo

Alternative Types of Credit

Besides units earned at the College, students can sometimes apply alternative types of credit toward their graduation requirements. These credits may be for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) work in high school, credits earned at other accredited colleges prior to matriculation at BSC (transfer credits), or credits earned at another accredited college while already a Birmingham-Southern student (transient credits). Students may earn BSC credit by taking courses through the Birmingham Area Consortium for Higher Education (BACHE).

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Students may receive credit for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) work completed in high school. Detailed information is available in the College catalog under Academic Policy and Information, Transfer Credit.

Birmingham Area Consortium for Higher Education (BACHE)

BACHE is a consortium comprised of the four-year colleges and universities in the Birmingham area: Birmingham-Southern, Miles College, Samford University, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the University of Montevallo.

BSC students may take undergraduate courses at other BACHE campuses at no additional charge, and may also access the resources of all the member libraries.

In order to enroll in courses, students must be full-time students in good academic standing, and have prior approval.

BSC students who wish to take courses at member institutions during the summer term typically apply as transient students at those institutions, rather than through the BACHE program. For information about transient credits, visit the transient information section.

Further information can be found at the BACHE home page, at BSC's BACHE page, and in the College catalog under Courses of Study, Cooperative Programs.

Contact the College's BACHE coordinator, Assistant Provost Martha Ann Stevenson (mstevens@bsc.edu).

Transfer Credit

A student admitted as a transfer may receive credit for courses completed at another accredited institution that are related to courses offered at Birmingham-Southern College. Developmental, orientation, vocational, and correspondence courses are not transferable. A Birmingham‑Southern College course equivalent designation (or "000" for non‑equivalent courses) is listed on the transcript. Students should consult the catalog for details on unit credits awarded for transferred semester- or quarter-hours.

If official transcripts from other institutions were included with the student's application materials, transfer units should appear on the student's BSC transcript. If you are unsure if your credits from other institutions will transfer, contact Kim Lewis (klewis@bsc.edu) or the Records Office.

Further information concerning transfer students is available in the College catalog under Admissions, Entrance Requirements.

Transient Students and Transient Credit

What is a transient student?

A transient student is a currently enrolled BSC student who wants to take courses at another institution to transfer back to BSC in order to fulfill educational requirements. Credit for these courses is referred to as transient credit.


A transient student is a student currently attending another institution and wanting to take a course at BSC to transfer back to that home institution.

What do you do if you are a transient student?

Regularly enrolled BSC students may not take courses at other institutions, either in residence or through extension, without the written consent of the Provost. Consent forms are available in the Records Office. Students who have completed more than 16 units may not take courses at a junior or community college.

A BSC student who wishes to take a course at another BACHE institution during the regular fall or spring term should enroll in the course through the BACHE program, not as a transient student.  However, a BSC student who wishes to take a course at a BACHE institution during the summer term typically applies as a transient student at that institution.

Students currently enrolled at other institutions who wish to be admitted to Birmingham-Southern College as transient students should seek information from the BSC Admission Office.